Sacred Heart University
College of Nursing/College Of Arts and SciencesOnline Fairfield, CT Private Regional Accreditation
About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University (SHU) celebrates learning, discovery, and the lifelong search for true meaning. The esteemed faculty works closely with students to help students achieve both personal and professional success while striving to maintain a diverse community in an effort to support students' educational and spiritual journeys.
Founded in 1963 in Fairfield, Connecticut, Sacred Heart University was built on the tradition of Judeo-Christian ethical values and continues to provide an affordable, quality education to the local and international community. It is currently the second-largest Catholic university in New England and is approved and accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, the Connecticut Board of Higher Education, and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Online Degree Programs
At Sacred Heart, students are fully supported on their journey to gain greater skills and knowledge to become a change agent for good. SHU offers graduate degree and certificate programs in a convenient and flexible online format. With these online programs, students can schedule and complete courses around their work and personal commitments. Classes are taught by the same renowned faculty as on-campus courses and are available online, 24/7. Once enrolled, students will also be assigned a Student Services Coordinator who will help them throughout the online program journey - from enrollment each term, through graduation.
Accredited online degrees offered at Sacred Heart University include:
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN): Earn the undergraduate degree that is increasingly a necessity for a successful nursing career.
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN-MSN): Combine BSN and MSN degree studies in one program to save time and money and reach advanced career goals faster.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN): Move up to a leadership role with a sought-after credential. Offering four specializations:
- Clinical Nurse Leader: Use a comprehensive view of patient care to lead an integrated team of health care professionals. This program prepares students to sit for the American Association of Colleges of Nursing CNL Certificate Exam.
- Nursing Management & Executive Leadership: Use one's clinical knowledge to improve administrative tasks and processes and ensure efficient and effective nursing care. Learn how to practice positive management with techniques and strategies tailored to the health care context.
- Nursing Education: Coursework on teaching and learning strategies, curriculum design, and evaluation theory prepares students to pass on their experience and teach the next generation of nurse leaders. This program prepares students to sit for the National League of Nursing (NLN) Nurse Educator Certification Exam.
- Family Nurse Practitioner: Learn to provide family-focused primary care, including health promotion and prevention, to patients of all ages, this specialization prepares students to pass national certification examinations from the American Nurse Association (ANA) and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology (MSAP): Learn how to use psychological principles to create a better workplace and a healthier community. Offering three concentrations including Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Community Psychology, and General Applied Psychology Track.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP): This practice-focused doctoral education program enables students to build upon their masters-level education and develops the expertise needed for the most advanced leadership, clinical and research roles in the nursing profession and healthcare delivery system.
- Master of Social Work (MSW): Deepen one's level of assistance to vulnerable populations and prepare to take on leadership roles in social work with two specializations: direct clinical practice or direct community practice with components of each in both tracks.
Accreditation and Recognition
Sacred Heart is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), one of six regional associations in the United States that accredit schools and colleges. Additionally, their Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Science in Nursing, and Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Sacred Heart consistently meets and exceeds the needs of the student community and renowned faculty. More than 80 percent of the distinguished full-time faculty holds the highest degrees in their fields. The media and the world have recognized Sacred Heart's commitment to excellence in higher education. Notable rankings include:
- Best Colleges in the North, "U.S. News & World Report" (2015-2017)
- Best Online Bachelor's Program, "U.S. News & World Report" (2016, 2017)
- Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs, "U.S. News & World Report" (2016, 2017)
- Institutions with the Best Online Programs, "U.S. News & World Report" (2015)
- Best Colleges for Veterans in the North, "U.S. News & World Report" (2014-2017)
- Best 380 Colleges, "The Princeton Review" (2015-2017)
- College of Distinction for 2015, 2016, and 2017
Tuition and Financial Aid
Sacred Heart is committed to offering an affordable, accessible education to students. Tuition rates are based on each credit hour, but the total cost of each program may vary by student depending on transfer credits. Tuition rates do not include fees such as registration, library, technology or placement fees.
Sacred Heart University understands that a graduate education is a significant investment. They are committed to helping students explore all of the available aid options open to them including federal financial aid, student assistance programs and financing options.
Sacred Heart University Offers the Following Degree Programs Online
|This school does not offer any online Associate's Degrees|
|BSN in Nursing, RN to BSN|
|MSN in Nursing Management and Executive Leadership|
|MS in Applied Psychology|
|MSN in Nurse Educator|
|MSN in Nursing, Clinical Nurse Leader|
|DNP in Post-Master' Doctor of Nursing Practice|